Want information on common reasons for needing a pediatrician? A pediatrician is a doctor who treats children and young adults, which means any time children or young adults have a health issue, they will need to make an appointment with their pediatrician.As health care professionals, pediatricians are able to treat a wide variety of health…
Why Well Child Visits With a Pediatrician Are Important
As a parent, you probably rush to have your child seen by a pediatrician when sick but what about when they’re feeling fine? The fact is that well child visits are just as important and possibly even so. As a mother or father, you do everything possible to protect your child and keep them well. Having your son or daughter checked by a doctor according to the recommended schedule is part of being a responsible parent.
What are well child visits with a pediatrician?
Well child visits allow pediatricians to monitor a child from a health-related perspective to ensure they remain healthy. Simply put, this is a way for parents to prevent their children from becoming ill or injured. The schedule of assessments and screenings cover a child from birth through the teenage years and beyond.
Following a “periodically schedule” developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), pediatricians who offer well child visits stick to a strict guideline that starts at three to five days of age and goes until the patient turns 21.
Benefits of well child visits
There are numerous benefits associated with these visits to a pediatrician, including:
- Preventative care — Along with scheduled immunizations, a visit to a pediatrician covers things like home and school safety, nutrition, behavior and exercise
- Early detection — Often, new and young parents have no clue what to look for as far as signs of potential trouble, which is another benefit of having a child seen by a pediatrician even when appearing well
- Concerns — These visits provide an opportunity for both the parent and child to address concerns like anger, sleep disturbances, poor diet and development
- Full coverage — Along with normal illnesses and injuries, well child visits allow teens and young adults to address things like sexual behavior, mental health issues and substance abuse
- Monitoring — A pediatrician monitors the development and growth of a child to ensure they stay on track for reaching different milestones
- Partnership — Parenting is tough: Well child visits create a partnership with the pediatrician for much-needed support and advice
- Education — Since these visits extend to the age of 21, they provide a platform for older teens and young adults to make wise choices regarding their health
Getting the most from well child visits
Overall, these visits allow a pediatrician to review children as they grow. At the same time, they serve as an opportunity for parents to raise concerns, get answers and hear advice. Considering that so many childhood illnesses and injuries are preventable, it pays for parents to take advantage of these visits.
To get the most from a visit with a pediatrician, parents should schedule an appointment during a time that will not disrupt their child’s schoolwork or extra curriculum activities and bring a list of topics to discuss.
Keep your child healthy and happy
As a loving parent, take advantage of well child visits with a pediatrician. Both you and your child will benefit tremendously in more ways than imagined.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Finding a pediatrician in San Clemente is the first thing a family should do when moving to the area. A pediatrician is the one tasked with maintaining a child’s health, monitoring their development and treating them if they do become ill. They are an integral part of a child’s health care plan and so, if…
Making sure your child is healthy involves having a pediatrician you can trust, paying close attention to any issues and feeding them a good diet. If your child develops abdominal pain, there are a large number of potential causes. This can be worrying, as it can be hard to figure out what one thing might…
One of the greatest inventions of the modern era is immunizations. By receiving a simple shot, you can become immune to a dangerous disease without having to go through the experience of contracting the disease. This saves lives and has led to many diseases nearly going extinct. Researchers have put together a comprehensive list of…